The Indian Air Force is in Alaska ! Thousands of miles away from their home base in India. But they are there for a reason – Red Flag.
Organized by the United States Air Force, Red Flag is a high tech exercise in near realistic conditions and is attended only by invitation. Apart from IAF other participating air forces include from NATO and other friendly countries.
This year the Red Flag exercise is being held in Alaska and all aircraft and crew are based at Eielson Air Force Base. The IAF contingent consists of 4 x SU-30MKI fighter/bombers, 4 x Jaguar deep penetration ground attack aircraft, 2 x IL-78 midair refuellers and 2 x Globemaster III strategic airlift aircraft.
These aircraft will face off against USAF’s F-16, F-18 & F-22 aircraft. Exercises like Red Flag are crucial as they improve inter-operability with friendly forces and ensure that pilots can hone their skills in near realistic combat operations.
Oman Air is to start discussions with Boeing and Airbus for a replacement order for its aging Airbus A330 fleet.
Contenders in the running include the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Airbus A350. Both are modern light weight aircraft capable of flying long haul routes and are not fuel guzzlers unlike older models of aircraft.
This expansion would enable Oman Air to open up new destinations on the cards like Madrid, Rome, Brussels, Moscow and Shanghai.
Boeing would be the ideal choice since Oman Air already operates the Dreamliner 8 series but the Airbus A350 is sure going to give it a run for its money no doubt.
· ADL ( Adelaide ) flights effective 02nd May 2016
· EVN ( Yerevan ) flights effective 15th May 2016
· ATL ( Atlanta ) flights effective 1st Jun 2016
· RAK ( Marrakech ) flights effective 1st Jul 2016
· PSA ( Pisa ) flights effective 1st Aug 2016
· SJJ ( Sarajevo ) flights effective 7th Sep 2016
· WDH ( Windhoek ) flights effective 27th Sep 2016
· HEL ( Helsinki ) flights effective 10th Oct 2016
· AKL ( Auckland ) flights effective 2nd Dec 2016
· KBV ( Krabi ) flights effective 5th Dec 2016 and
· SEZ ( Seychelles ) flights effective 11th Dec 2016